Welcome to District Court
It is advised that you contact the Court prior to coming in.
All previous Emergency Administrative Orders remain in full effect.
Communications with the Mason County District Court can be made by:
- Email at email@example.com, and/or
- Telephone at (360) 427-9670 ext. 339
- Option 1 for civil matters
- Option 2 for all other matters
Person in need of an emergency court hearing, including emergency protection orders should call the Mason County District court at (360) 427-9670 ext. 339 and select Option 1 to speak with a clerk.
Posted March 26, 2020
Updated March 23, 2020
Please click on the link above to read the Emergency Orders regarding the current status of the Mason County District Court.
All previously scheduled hearing or trials are continued until after April 24th. There are exceptions for in-custody criminal matters.
The court is rescheduling hearings and advising parties by mail.
The District Court offices are closed to in-person contacts except for those of an emergency nature (DV Protection Orders, Unlawful Harassment, etc.) For these matters, you may contact the court by phone (360) 427-9670 ext. 339, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All emergency matters that must be held before April 24th must be heard by telephone or video.
WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU MAIL YOUR PAYMENTS INTO THE COURT OR USE POINT AND PAY FOR PAYMENTS OF YOUR FINES
Payments to fines/fees options: http://www.co.mason.wa.us/district-court/court-payments.php
- Mail check or money order to the court – PO Box “O”, Shelton, WA. 98584
- Use Point and Pay (convenience fees apply)
- Drop box outside court house
- Envelopes will be provided – DO NOT DROP OFF CASH PAYMENTS
- Must have Name, case number and Phone number written on envelopes so that the court staff can apply it to the proper case.
For the most recent updates on COVID-19, please visit the Centers for Disease Control website.
Honorable George Steele, Judge
Court Administrator: Patricia A. Robinson
The mission of the Mason County District Court is to administer justice with fairness, equality and integrity, to resolve matters before the court in a timely manner with trained and motivated staff. To provide impartial, courteous and prompt service in a manner that inspires public trust and confidence.
About the Court
The Mason County District Court is a Court of Limited Jurisdiction created by the Washington State Legislature in 1961. Mason County District Court consists of 1 (one) judge, elected for four years, one Administrator and 7 full time support staff.
The Mason County District Court has jurisdiction over criminal, infraction, small claims, civil and miscellaneous cases.
Criminal misdemeanor cases carry a maximum penalty of up to 90 days in jail and a $ 1,000 fine. Criminal gross misdemeanor cases carry a maximum penalty of up to 1 year in jail and a $ 5,000 fine. Some examples of criminal cases heard by the Court are:
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
- Domestic Violence Assault
- Driving While license Suspended (DWLS)
Civil Cases Include
- General civil actions with damage claims in the maximum amount of $ 100,000. The court does not hear cases involving title to or possession of real property.
- Small claims actions with money claims in the maximum amount of $5,000. The small claims court may only grant judgment for monetary damages. The Court may not order the other party to return property or do anything except pay money.
- Traffic violations
- Code Violations
Miscellaneous Proceedings Include
- Protection Order Petitions
- Anti harassment Petitions
- Sexual Assault Petitions
- Name Change Petitions
- Vehicle Impound Hearings
- Dangerous Dog hearings