Welcome to the office of the Assessor
In response to COVID-19 Mason County Assessor in person services are by appointments from 9 to 1, however we will be here until 4 to answer phones. We are currently available via phone, postal mail and email. Response times may be delayed due to current staffing levels.
Contact us by phone:
- (360) 427-9670 Ext: 491
- 411 N 5th St, Shelton, WA 98584
- PO BOX J, Shelton, WA 98584
- January 24, 2020: Personal Property Returns (equipment listings) mailed to businesses in Mason County. Equipment listings must be filed by Thursday, April 30th, for property as of January 1, 2020. "Personal Property eFile" is currently under construction, but equipment listings may still be submitted electronically (excel format preferred) to email@example.com.
- January 17, 2020: The 2020 Mason County Levy Book, District Listing by Tax Code Area (TCA) and 2020 Levy Report is now available.
- Appraisers are physically inspecting Area 3 of Mason County, which includes Union, Alderbrook, a portion of 106, Lake Cushman, Hoodsport and Lilliwaup onto the Jefferson county line.
The County Assessor, or any employee designated by the assessor, does have the right to access your property in order to make an inspection for valuation purposes, pursuant to RCW 84.40.025.
- A physical inspection, required by RCW 84.41.041, routinely includes an outside observation of the property in order to verify any changes, which could include the addition of new improvements and reviewing for signs of depreciation outside of the normal age of the property.
- The assessor’s office also relies upon the property owner for information. Taxpayers are encouraged to help by providing up-to-date and accurate property information whenever possible.
- Current physical inspections are a part of the 2020 assessment process, which will be for property taxes payable in 2021.
Mason County Assessor
This website is designed for residents and visitors seeking information about real estate as it relates to the property tax system in Mason County. Our primary responsibility to the taxpayers of Mason County is to establish fair and equitable value for all real and personal property.
The Assessor's Role
The Assessor is responsible for maintaining a list of all real and personal property parcels, including assessment of value and current ownership. As required by law, the Assessor prepares, possesses and updates a complete set of maps drawn from legal descriptions, to indicate all parcel configurations for land in the County. The Assessor sets current market values and calculates levies based on the taxing district’s budgets. This office also administers senior/disability property tax exemptions, and forest or agriculture programs. This office works to treat everyone fairly and promptly.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact us:
Shelton (360) 427-9670 │ Belfair (360) 275-4467 │ Elma (360) 482-5269
411 N 5th Street │PO Box “J”
County Building 1, 2nd floor