Welcome to the office of the Assessor
- July - September: Appraisers are inspecting properties, countywide, for new construction.
The Assessor is authorized to value new construction and renovation work each year, for which a building permit was issued or should have been issued. The new construction value shall be based on its status—stage of completion—as of July 31st of the assessment year (WAC 458-12-342)
- 2019 Levy Report - Information for taxpayers in Mason County pertaining to the 2019 levy rates. The 2019 Mason County Levy book is also available on the "Levies" page.
- January 25, 2019: Personal Property Returns (equipment listings) mailed to businesses in Mason County. Equipment listings must be filed by Tuesday, April 30th, for property as of January 1. You may submit equipment listings electronically (Excel format preferred) to email@example.com
- Appraisers are physically inspecting Area 2 of Mason County, which includes neighborhoods in the City of Shelton, Island Lake and Arcadia.
The County Assessor, or any employee designated by the assessor, does have the right to access your property in order to make an inspection for valuation purposes, pursuant to RCW 84.40.025.
- A physical inspection, required by RCW 84.41.041, routinely includes an outside observation of the property in order to verify any changes, which could include the addition of new improvements and reviewing for signs of depreciation outside of the normal age of the property.
- The assessor’s office also relies upon the property owner for information. Taxpayers are encouraged to help by providing up-to-date and accurate property information whenever possible.
- Current physical inspections are a part of the 2019 assessment process, which will be for property taxes payable in 2020.
Mason County Assessor
This website is designed for residents and visitors seeking information about real estate as it relates to the property tax system in Mason County. Our primary responsibility to the taxpayers of Mason County is to establish fair and equitable value for all real and personal property.
The Assessor's Role
The Assessor is responsible for maintaining a list of all real and personal property parcels, including assessment of value and current ownership. As required by law, the Assessor prepares, possesses and updates a complete set of maps drawn from legal descriptions, to indicate all parcel configurations for land in the County. The Assessor sets current market values and calculates levies based on the taxing district’s budgets. This office also administers senior/disability property tax exemptions, and forest or agriculture programs. This office works to treat everyone fairly and promptly.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact us:
Shelton (360) 427-9670 │ Belfair (360) 275-4467 │ Elma (360) 482-5269
411 N 5th Street │PO Box “J”
County Building 1, 2nd floor