Mason County Washington - Government Information
Mason Couty Home Mason County Employment Mason County Forms and Brochures Mason County Phone  Numbers and Addresses Mason County Campus Map
Mason County Code & Regulations Mason County Community Links Mason County Tourism Mason County Site Search Mason County Advisory Boards Ask questions

Veterans Assistance Home


Veterans' Services

Veterans' Assistance Fund

Mason County has established a levy, per RCW 73.08.080, for the purpose of creating the Veterans' Assistance Fund to help eligible indigent and suffering veterans or family members with certain expenses. 

The Veterans' Advisory Board has been established for the purpose of overseeing the Veterans' Assistance Fund.  Please see Resolution 58-13 for details.

The Veterans' Advisory Board Operating Guidelines provide detailed information.

  • Honorably discharged veteran or eligible family member of a veteran who meets the definition of veteran as defined by law.
  • The county defines "indigent and suffering" to mean the current poverty level as  defined by the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
  • Applicants must be a resident of the Mason County for at least ninety (90) days.
  • Applicant must present proof of residency and income.
How to Apply:
  • Telephone a Veterans' Service Officer to schedule an eligibility appointment and find out what documents to bring to the appointment.
  • There are two Veterans' Service Offices:
    • In Shelton - Memorial Hall, 210 West Franklin Street.
      Phone: 360-426-4546
      Business hours are Monday - Wednesday 9 AM to 12 PM and 1 PM to 4 PM or by appointment.
    • In Belfair - North Mason County Resource, 140 NE SR 300.
      Phone: 360-552-2302.
      Business hours are Monday - Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; On Wednesdays, the office is open until 6:30 p.m.
  • This fund may be disbursed to indigent veterans and their families or the families of those deceased in the amount not to exceed $800 per applicant per calendar year, not to exceed two years, unless the indigent veteran qualifies for additional funds.
  • After one year of waiting, the veteran may reapply for further assistance with proof of eligibility. (Execptions are burial and catasptrohic expenses)
  • Approval of the eight hundred ($800.00) dollars for assistance shall be granted only for the following:
    1. Past Due Rent or Mortgage
    2. Past Due Utilities; electric, water or Natural Gas
    3. Needed Food Items
    4. Needed Fire Wood or Propane
Veterans' Case Management Contract for Mental Health and Chemical Dependency

Mason County has established a 1/10 of 1% Sales and Use Tax for Mental Health and Substance Abuse services that funds a contract with Mental Health Professionals, LLC. .

The Veterans' Case Manager is Leon Huggins-Richard who works with veterans and their family members/dependents who are experiencing difficulties.  Leon works to assist the veteran with family stability, well-being, education/training, financial management, and employment/career management issues.  This service is free to eligible clients. 

Please call (360) 451-0900 to set up an appointment with Leon.

Memorial Hall
Memorial Hall is located at 210 W Franklin Street in Shelton and is available to rent.  The main room is comprised of a large area with seating capacity of 200.  Please see rental policy and procedures for details.