Senior Citizen/Disability Exemption

If you are a senior citizen or if you are disabled, Washington State has a program that may help you to pay your property taxes and/or special assessments.  The household income and age or disability of the applicant determines eligibility for the program.  Applicants must be at least 61 years of age, or unable to work because of a physical disability.  Proof of disability is required by submittal of a doctor's statement with the application.  Combined Disposable Household Income must not exceed $35,000*.

*Recently, the Governor signed SSB 5186 into law, increasing the income limit to $40,000 for the 2016 Tax Year and forward.


Current Use Program

Current use properties are those which qualify for a reduced assessment based upon the use of the property as open space, farm & agricultural, or timberland.

The Legislature designed the Current Use Program to preserve land for agriculture, timber growth and open space in areas where market value taxation would otherwise economically prohibit their continued use for those purposes.

Property owners must apply for and be granted the reduction and may continue in the program until the use is changed or the owner elects to remove the property from the program. 

$500 per parcel is required with each application. This applies to all land classification programs, which includes Open Space, Farm & Agriculture and Designated Forest Land. The fee will not be refunded if the application is denied.


Additional Property Tax Relief