Welcome to the office of the Assessor
Appraisers are physically inspecting Area 4 of Mason County, which includes Belfair, Dewatto and Tahuya onto the Kitsap county line.
- A physical inspection, required by RCW 84.41.041, routinely includes an outside observation of the property in order to verify any changes, which could include the addition of new improvements and reviewing for signs of depreciation outside of the normal age of the property.
- The assessor’s office also relies upon the property owner for information. Taxpayers are encouraged to help by providing up-to-date and accurate property information whenever possible.
- Current physical inspections are a part of the 2021 assessment process, which will be for property taxes payable in 2022.
The County Assessor, or any employee designated by the assessor, does have the right to access your property in order to make an inspection for valuation purposes, pursuant to RCW 84.40.025.
The Assessor’s Office is now open for in Person Services:
We are located upstairs on the 2nd Floor of Mason County Building #1 at 411 N 5th Street, Shelton, WA.
The Assessor’s office strongly encourages continued use of our shared drop box, mail, online or phone contact options. Please use in person visits only for those transactions that cannot be handled alternatively.
∞YOU MUST WEAR A FACE COVERING TO ENTER THE BLDG∞
Regular Business Hours are Monday thru Friday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM
FOR IN-PERSON SERVICES:
Along with the Treasurer’s Office and the Auditor’s Office, we are utilizing a new queuing system to adhere to state and federal guidelines regarding social distancing.
In person transactions require that customers sign in at the QLESS Kiosk located in the first floor vestibule of Building 1 and wait until summoned to the 2nd floor.
We are still available by phone from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM Monday thru Friday (except Holidays) at (360) 427-9670 Ext. 491
Contact us by phone:
- (360) 427-9670 Ext: 491
- 411 N 5th St, Shelton, WA 98584
- PO BOX J, Shelton, WA 98584
- 2021/2022 Personal Property Returns (equipment listings) were mailed on January 27, 2021, and are due by Friday, April 30th. Listings filed after the due date will incur a monthly penalty of 5 percent of the tax due, not to exceed 25 percent.
The Returns are for the 2021 assessment (equipment and ownership as of January 1, 2021) for taxes payable in 2022.
Personal Property Returns can be submitted by the following options:
- eFile - https://property.co.mason.wa.us/PersonalPropertyEfile
- Email - email@example.com (excel format preferred)
- Mail - PO Box J, Shelton, WA 98584
- Drop Box – Located in the alley on the north side of the building.
If you have any questions, please contact (360) 427-9670 ext. 494, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- September 23rd, 2020 - The annual Assessor’s Notice of Value will be mailed to Mason County taxpayers on September 23, 2020. In accordance with RCW 84.40.045 & WAC 458-12-360, the Assessor is required to notify taxpayers of any change in the true and fair value of their property.
- August 14, 2020 - Second and final renewal notices for the Senior Citizen/Disabled Persons Exemption from Real Property Taxes were mailed out August 14, 2020 for Areas 3 and 6. Completed renewal applications must be returned by October 1, 2020.
- May 21, 2020 - In accordance with RCW 84.36.385, and WAC 458-16A-150, a reduction in taxes per the Senior Citizen/Disabled Persons Program may not continue unless the recipient submits a renewal application for exemption at least once every six years, or upon the Assessor’s request.
Renewal applications for Areas 3 and 6 were mailed out May 22, 2020. Completed renewal applications must be returned by July 1, 2020.
We understand that due to the current COVID-19 restrictions, acquiring and returning the appropriate documentation may be challenging. Renewal applications can be submitted by either email, mail, fax, outside drop box or by appointment. For questions, please call 360-427-9670 ext. 567 or email at email@example.com.
- January 24, 2020 - Personal Property Returns (equipment listings) mailed to businesses in Mason County. Equipment listings must be filed by Thursday, April 30th, for property as of January 1, 2020. "Personal Property eFile" is currently under construction, but equipment listings may still be submitted electronically (excel format preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- January 17, 2020 - The 2020 Mason County Levy Book, District Listing by Tax Code Area (TCA) and 2020 Levy Report is now available.
Mason County Assessor
This website is designed for residents and visitors seeking information about real estate as it relates to the property tax system in Mason County. Our primary responsibility to the taxpayers of Mason County is to establish fair and equitable value for all real and personal property.
The Assessor's Role
The Assessor is responsible for maintaining a list of all real and personal property parcels, including assessment of value and current ownership. As required by law, the Assessor prepares, possesses and updates a complete set of maps drawn from legal descriptions, to indicate all parcel configurations for land in the County. The Assessor sets current market values and calculates levies based on the taxing district’s budgets. This office also administers senior/disability property tax exemptions, and forest or agriculture programs. This office works to treat everyone fairly and promptly.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact us:
Shelton (360) 427-9670 │ Belfair (360) 275-4467 │ Elma (360) 482-5269
411 N 5th Street │PO Box “J”
County Building 1, 2nd floor