|The purpose of the Historic Preservation ordinance is to provide for the identification, evaluation, designation, and protection of designated historic and prehistoric resources within the boundaries of Mason County and preserve and rehabilitate eligible historic properties within Mason County for future generations through special valuation, a property tax incentive, as provided in Chapter 84.26 RCW in order to:
- Safeguard the heritage of Mason County as represented by those buildings, districts, objects, sites and structures which reflect significant elements of Mason County history;
- Foster civic and neighborhood pride in the beauty and accomplishments of the past, and a sense of identity based on the Mason County history;
- Stabilize or improve the aesthetic and economic vitality and values of such sites, improvements and objects;
- Assist, encourage and provide incentives to private owners for preservation, restoration, redevelopment and use of outstanding historic buildings, districts, objects, sites and structures;
- Promote and facilitate the early identification and resolution of conflicts between preservation of historic resources and alternative land uses; and,
- Conserve valuable material and energy resources by ongoing use and maintenance of the existing built environment.