Mason County Washington - Government Information
Mason Couty Home Mason County Employment Mason County Forms and Brochures Mason County Phone  Numbers and Addresses Mason County Campus Map
Mason County Code & Regulations Mason County Community Links Mason County Tourism Mason County Site Search Mason County Advisory Boards Ask questions
Public Health Home What is Public Health? Board of Health Contact Information
Health Information Office of the Director Environmental Health Community and Family Health
Public Health Home
Solid Waste Program
Environmental Health Fees
Methamphetamine Labs
Illegal Dumping
Illegal Burning
Hulk Vehicles
Rodent Control
Pet Feces
Scrap Metal
What is Solid Waste?

Garbage & Recycling in Mason County
Where can I recycle?
What can I recycle?
  • Aluminum cans
  • Brown paper bags
  • Corrugated cardboard
  • Glass bottles and jars
  • Magazines
  • Milk cartons and juice boxes
  • Mixed paper (junk mail, catalogs, cereal boxes, shoe boxes, cracker boxes, office paper, egg cartons, envelopes, paper folders, and phone books) (Printed on both sides)
  • Newspaper
  • Plastic bags (at grocery stores only)
  • Plastics bottles and jugs only (no other kinds of plastic containers)
  • Tin cans
Where can I recycle yard debris and construction / remodeling debris?
Please call for hours of operation and details of accepted wastes
Bill McTurnal Enterprises
Shelton, (360)432-0971
North Mason Fiber Company
Belfair,(360) 275-0228
Brady Trucking
Shelton, (360)426-3132
Pettyjohn Enterprises/BCP Landscape Supplies
Shelton, (360) 427-2869
Allen Shearer Landscape Supply
Belfair (360)275-3465
Peninsula Topsoil
Belfair (360) 275-1000

Where can I recycle CFLs, HID and Fluorescent Tubes?

A variety of light bulbs contain mercury, including compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs), high intensity discharge lamps (HIDs) and fluorescent tubes. While the mercury in these bulbs actually helps to reduce the amount of electricity we use, if disposed of improperly, this mercury can be released from the bulb and harm both human and environmental health.  

To prevent the release of mercury into our environment, you can take burned out bulbs containing mercury to several different locations in Mason County:

Mason County PUD 3: 
CFL bulbs only
310 W Cota Street  
Shelton WA 98584
(360) 426-8255

Mason County Solid Waste Facility: 
501 Eells Hill Rd 
Shelton WA 98584
(360)  427-9670 Ext. 207

Tozier Brothers Ace Hardware:
110 Mill Street
Shelton WA 98584
(360) 426-2411

Scott  McLendon’s  Hardware:  
51 NE State Route 300  
Belfair WA 98528
(360) 275-0113

For more information and guidelines on proper disposal of mercury-containing bulbs, Click Here

What about household hazardous waste?
The following are accepted for free at the Mason County Solid Waste Facility on Eells Hill Road in Shelton (427-5271) on Fridays  8 AM - 12 PM only:
  • Automotive cleaners, waxes, and other chemical products
  • Diesel
  • Fluorescent tubes and bulbs
  • Gas and gas additives
  • Lawn and garden products
  • Oil based paints and stains (latex paint is not hazardous is not accepted. click here for more information)
  • Transmission fluid

The following items are accepted anytime the facility is open:

  • Motor oil, oil filters
  • Antifreeze
  • Rechargeable household batteries and vehicle batteries

Business hazardous wastes are not accepted in Mason County, but can be dropped off at the Kitsap County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility

North Mason area residents can take household hazardous waste to the Kitsap County Facility at no charge.

Environmental Health Home Public Health Home Mason County Home Search Our Site