Mason County Home | Employment | Forms & Brochures | County Contact Info. | Campus Map
     Codes & Regulations | Community Links | Visit Mason County | Search Our Site | Advisory Boards | Email Us
Office Hours:
Office Hours 8:30 - 4:30 M-F
Senior Citizen/Disability Exemption

If you are a senior citizen or if you are disabled, Washington has a program that may help you to pay your property taxes and/or special assessments. The household income and age or disability of the applicant determines eligibility for the program. Applicants must be at least 61 years of age, or unable to work because of a physical disability. Proof of disability is required by submittal of a doctor's statement with the application. Household income must not exceed $35,000. The exemption applies to the principal residence and up to one acre. Listed are the three levels of exemption based on income level:

Income Level Exemption Amount
$0-25,000     Exempt from regular property taxes on the greater of $60,000 or 60% of the Valuation plus exemption from 100% of excess levies.*
$25,001-$30,000   Exempt from regular property taxes on the greater of $50,000 or 35% of the valuation not to exceed $70,000, plus exemption from 100% of excess levies.
$30,001-$35,000  Exempt from 100% of excess levies.

When determining disposable income it is important to consider possible deductions for the following: (all apply to applicant, applicant's spouse, or co-tenant)
Non-reimbursed amounts paid to live in a nursing home. Non-reimbursed amounts paid for prescription drugs. Non-reimbursed amounts paid to receive in-home care. The care received must be similar to the care provided by a nursing home. Medical treatment, physical therapy, Meals on Wheels (or similar meal delivery service), and household and personal care. Personal care includes assistance with preparing meals, getting dressed, eating, taking medications or areas of personal hygiene. Special furniture and equipment, such as wheelchairs, hospital beds, and oxygen.
For more information concerning the Senior/Disability Exemption, contact the exemption clerk at (360) 427-9670 ext. 567. *Excess levies are in addition to regular levies. They require voter approval and provide money for a specific purpose, such as school bonds and maintenance and operation levies.